A ketogenic diet is a diet that contains low carbohydrates, moderate protein, and high fat. Originally in the 1920s, the ketogenic diet was designed for patients of Epilepsy and other Neurogenic illness. The ketogenic diet also tends to have positive effects on these patient’s body fats, blood sugar, Cholesterol, and surpassed hunger level.
This diet is so helpful because it contains 75% fats, 20% proteins, and 5% carbohydrate which are very useful in a diet. And it the best diet for short term weight loss. The fact is that it is very difficult to follow this diet but if you could follow it is basically a good option.
How the ketogenic diet works
When you switch from a normal diet to a ketogenic diet your body deals with a low consumption of carbohydrate in two ways;
- It enters in a state called ketosis which shifts your body energy source to primarily fats which basically means that it breaks down fats to something known as ketones hence ketosis and it uses those for energy
- Gluconeogenesis ; Body`s ability to create glucose from non-carbohydrate sources.
Types of Ketogenic Diet
• Standard ketogenic diet; This diet typically contains 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrate.
• Cyclical Ketogenic diet; This diet consist of 2 high carbohydrate products till 5 days
• Targeted Ketogenic diet; In this diet, you have to add carbohydrate around workouts
• High protein Ketogenic diet; It is typically same to Standard ketogenic diet but includes more protein than it
What Can we eat during this diet
During this diet, you can have foods like starches, bread, pasta. Vegetables like corn, carrots, and potatoes.
Bad effects of this diet
As you will be having high carbohydrates consisting of foods you may have problems like constipation. You can also be fatigued, dehydrated, nauseous. Also most importantly your breath may smell disgusting due to the acetone present in the foods.
- “Keto is good for weight loss“
Ans- Yes the ketogenic diet is good for weight loss and it happens through two important mechanisms:
- Since we are using fats as our primary energy source we are burning a lot of fats
- We are staying full and limiting calories
2.”The ketogenic diet is good for Brain“
Ans- Some peoples have said that they became more focused by following a ketogenic diet, but some people said that they are more depressed so no quality research is available on it
3. “Keto is good for some diseases“
Ans- This is a yes and no type answer, where keto diets really shine is a Type 2 diabetes and some other types of diseases are also cured by ketogenic diet but no researchers have proven it.
Potential Harms by the ketogenic diet
• Nutritional deficiencies from a limited diet
• Increase in “BAD” cholesterol
• Kidney issues
• Bone issues
• Increased Cancer risk
In this article I have brought to you the meaning of ketogenic diet , how it works , what are its types and other important things to know about keto diet. So, if you wish to have a slim trim figure you can follow this.